By Sharon Wagner
Moving out of your home and into an assisted living facility is a major upheaval. For many seniors, this move comes with stress, uncertainty, and emotional upset. While things may feel rocky at first, you’ll eventually feel comfortable and at-home in your new space. Whether you’ve just moved to assisted living or you’re planning to in the near future, there are several ways to ease the transition and ensure you thrive in your new home! Here are some quick tips to help you out.
#1 Sort Your Funding Issues
Paying for assisted living is a common source of stress for seniors and their loved ones. Fortunately, you have many funding options!
- Cost and budget are important factors to consider in your search for the perfect assisted living arrangement.
- If you have a life insurance policy, you may want to consider selling it to cover your assisted living expenses.
- You could even sell your house to pay for assisted living.
#2 Seek Assistance and Support
Whether you need help accessing care services or coping with your move, there are people out there who can help you out.
- Don’t be afraid to ask your adult children for help!
- If you’re struggling to adjust to assisted living, consider talking to a therapist.
#3 Get Involved
Making friends and pursuing your interests will help you stay happy and healthy in assisted living, so get out there and get involved!
- Choose an assisted living community that offers a variety of group activities.
- Learn how to be a friendly neighbor and make lasting connections with other residents.
#4 Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle
Eating nutritious foods, exercising daily, getting enough sleep, and maintaining social connections are all easier in assisted living.
- To get your daily exercise, join on-site fitness classes or take walks around your new neighborhood.
- Recognize that changes in sleep patterns are common in seniors. Talk to a doctor if you are suffering from insomnia.
- Before choosing an assisted living facility, ask specific questions about the food and dining experience.
- Connect with ReverCare for products and services that improve well-being, such as medical alerts and hearing aids.
Moving to assisted living can be a tough transition for seniors. If you’re having a hard time accepting the upcoming move or getting settled after your transition, you’re not alone! Planning ahead, evaluating your options carefully, and getting involved in your new community will help you get comfortable and start making new connections as soon as possible!
Sharon Wagner created SeniorFriendly.info to offer advice geared specifically toward seniors to help them make healthier choices and enjoy their golden years.